Monday, June 7, 2010

How Long...

Monday wasn't a great day.

Part way through the day I was struggling with unanswered prayers and thinking about Psalms- and I started thinking about the one or two Psalms which have the line in them "How Long, oh Lord...". I decided to try to find them, so I opened up www.biblegateway.com

I found many, many Psalms which contained the words "How Long?". How often does the cry come from God's people! And it is not an incorrect thing to ask.

But something else came up too:

"This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Ex 10:3

Then the LORD said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions?Exodus 16:27

The LORD said to Moses, "How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them?Numbers 14:11

The LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king." 1 Samuel 16:1

Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing. 1 Kings 18:21

How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame ? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods ? Psalm 4:2

How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? Prov 6:9

O Jerusalem, wash the evil from your heart and be saved. How long will you harbor wicked thoughts? Jeremiah 4:14

God has given this cry to, when he's observed stiff-necked people. People like me.

Thank you Lord, for your patience.
Please grant me patience too.
Amen

Love B

1 comment:

  1. that's pretty amazing.. yup i have no hesitation in crying out how long- he knows it anyway.

    ReplyDelete