Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trusting God

What do you do when your finding hard to trust God with your life?

This is something I've been pondering alot this year. Most of the time (or at least most of the time in this amazingly blessed country that we live in) you can just remind yourself of Romans 8:28 "All things work for the good of those who love him, all who are called according to his purpose"- and see that playing out beautifully in your life. We can rest in the knowledge that God is good, and that he loves us, and that we can trust him with everything that might happen. We look back over our life and thank God for the way that he's blessed us and cared for us, even through the tough times.

But what about when that is hard? When suffering doesn't make any sense? When you pray, and you pray and you pray and it doesn't change. When friends around you have such horrible, tragic things happen to them that you don't even know what you can possibly say to comfort?

You can go to the Psalms and they are wonderful. Through the pain and the doubt the Psalmists find themselves looking back at the God who saved their people. My personal favourites for those times are Psalms 23, 27, 42, 73, 126. I really encourage you to read the Psalms and store up your own list of Psalms for times of doubt, sin, joy and struggle.

In the past, when its been hard to trust God, the Psalms have always been my go to point. But this week I've found a new strategy and it was such a blessing I wanted to tell you all about it.

I go to the gospels and I read about Jesus.

I know it sounds a bit weird and non-specific. But if you want to see what God is like, what better place to go than to the Son who walked on this earth.

When I wonder if God really does care about my pain, I read the stories of Jesus interacting with people, challenging people, loving people and I think- yes, I can't look at this man and say that he and his Father do not care about my pain.

I look to the depth of his love, seen on the cross as he died for me, even me, and I think- yes, this is love.

And I repent, praise him for his goodness to me, and keep praying. I pray in the knowledge that whatever the answer, it is from one who loves me.
love B

1 comment:

  1. Hi, good to meet you, sister-in-Christ! I hope you come and visit my blog sometime. I am new to Australia. I married a wonderful Aussie man who loves the Lord a year ago. I moved here from America. Before I married I was a missionary teacher with New Tribes Mission. I do miss teaching, but am loving being a wife. And, I believe every Believer is a missionary...called to share the Good News with all the Lord brings into their life.

    Thank you for being real in your post and for telling of our wonderful savior! Praise Him!

    For His Name's Sake,
    Deborah @ A Cup Of Joy
    acupofjoy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete