Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Home sweet home

They're Back!

For those of you who don't live in Sydney or don't pay attention to weather from other states (why would you, really)- Spring has well and truly hit in Sydney. Gone are those winter jumpers and my beloved pinkie/purple coat- only to return if we are out walking in the cooler evenings. After so many freezing nights I'm finding myself suffocating under our big fluffy doona. Tim and I are thinking of going to the beach tomorrow- its going to be 27!

But, unfortunately, as the temperature creeps up, so do the number of cockroaches in our house.

Ew!

Tim and I were sucked in to buying a sonic cockroach contraption which sends out super sonic sounds that big cockroaches can't stand. And so far (praise God) we haven't had another episode of "the giant cockroach landing on my head while I was sleeping" incident. But it doesn't seem to deter the littlies and they are coming out in force.

The other lovely surprise I got this week is when I went to pick up my trusty pink sandals and found them...covered in mould! Guess I'm due for a new pair anyway :(

But God has blessed us so much with where we live. We have way, way to much space in our house- which in inner-western Sydney is a very rare problem to have. We have a dish-washer. We have furniture, almost all of which was gifts from relatives and friends over the years. We live in gorgeous inner-city suburb, full of cute little houses, fun shops, lovely parks, and which is close to everything. We can walk to college, we can walk to about 10 different couples from Colleges houses, I can even walk to the super-market in a pinch.

It is definitely not perfect, but it really is one of those cases of God answering our prayers in a way that was so much greater than we imagined when we panicked about where we would live.

So, despite the fear that fills me as I move towards the box of summer cloths- hoping they won't be covered in mold, as I search frantically for a non-precious item to hit the cockroach with before it runs away- I am very, very thankful for this crazy hospital house.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to tell you that those little cockroaches are German cockroaches and it's near impossible to get rid of them. The only thing that will cull the population slightly are those sticky traps because they get stuck and lay their eggs on them. When the eggs hatch the babies get stuck too, so you've killed off a generation.

    It still won't get rid of them though. Sydney people hate them too but are used to them.

    The big ones, on the other hand, tend to work alone so you won't see hundreds of them.

    I can't believe I'm having this conversation...

    Sue Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I can't believe I am contributing to this conversation because I have an irrational fear of these critters as I call them. I am improving a lot and now am even brave enough (!) to read the word...just don't try to say it around me. Anyway...your post has reminded me of the #1 thing I dread about the day we return North. I just don't know how I will cope and if the thing that you mentioned in your story happened to me I think I would have to move. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I opened up the SMH webpage today and was shocked to see it is 31 in Sydney! I thought it must be a mistake, but no!

    Enjoy the nice weather while it lasts (front coming your way).

    ReplyDelete