Sunday, February 12, 2012

A New Job!

As of July this year, I will be working two days a week for the RMIT CU!  So lovely to have it first of all sorted, and also something that I can talk about publicly :)

It was a real blessing from God how it all came about.

Tim and I had decided, late in 2011, that I would be working part-time (as a volunteer) for the church plant, but that it would be good for me to work 2 days doing something else that pays.  We weren't sure what that would be.  I had various different thoughts, and chopped and changed, whether it would be better for me to work in a ministry job, or in a non-ministry job.  I had decided with all the stress of starting a church plant, that perhaps a non-ministry job would be best.

I had also received an email from my old Colleague and friend from RMIT, Heather Reid.  She had asked whether I might be interested in coming back to RMIT.  This did seem like a wonderful option, I loved Uni ministry and in many ways that was always my very long term plan, but Tim and I dismissed it as a short term option.  Staff workers needed to raise their own salary, and at the time we were in the mist of raising money to start our church.  It just didn't seem possible that we would be able to raise one and a half salaries.

Cut to Boxing day, and a five hour car trip with Tim between relatives Christmas parties!  I was sharing just how apathetic I was about the year ahead and I needed a decision on what I should do.  Tim prayed, and then suggested a pros and cons list.  In the process of that, I found that the top choices for me were AFES and Writing.  Tim suggested at that point that perhaps I could have the first six months of the year off, to settle in, help with church planting and to write.

Then, after more discussions on our trip to Tassie, we decided to get back to Heather and pursue the RMIT option.  It was something that I was passionate about, that was so obviously important, and it seemed a good use of the time that God had given me.  And God had been so faithful in our church fundraising, we actually felt as if it could be possible to raise the two days a week I would be working.

I organised a catch up with Heather, and she was keen.  The three of us got together with Steve (the boss at RMIT) and he was keen as well.  Last week I had my interview, and on Wednesday I got the official call from AFES saying I had the job.  Praise God!

I'll be two days a week, at the RMIT city campus.  My main job will be disciplining female students, and probably leading a Bible study.  The rest of the particulars will be sorted out as the start date approaches.

Praying friends, please pray for me, as I prepare for this exciting role.  Please also pray that God can raise the money for us so that I can work the full two days at RMIT.

:)
Love BG

1 comment: