Monday, February 13, 2012

Counting down the weeks

My nephew is due to be born in a little over two weeks.

The closeness of it has creped up.  I only realised how close it was when I was flicking through my diary and found myself starring at the date only a few pages on.

I have had hundreds of friends have babies (and no, I'm not exaggerating), and so you would think I would be old hat at this.  But it has never been this closer family, and this is my first go at being an Aunt.  And as excited as I am, it still feels crazily unreal.  The Watermelon in Elise's belly in two weeks is going to be a screaming, crying, gorgeous little person that I can see and touch and play with.  But as much as I love him, I still find it hard to imagine.

Most people who have vague knowledge of my sister-in-law and her husband usually say as one of their first comments: "That is going to be one good-looking baby".  I have to agree!

I think part of the issue is I find it hard, but fun, to imagine what their baby will look like.  Elise and Harry had a baby celebration afternoon tea (basically a gender-inclusive Baby-shower, but Elise wouldn't let us call it that).  At that party there were several mixed ethnicity kids.  It went from a very Indian looking boy to a blond haired blue eyed girl who in her apperance had no trace of her Indian/Mauritian heretige (and who ironically looked heaps like Elise does in all her baby photos).  So am much as I love my nephew, I just can't picture him at all.

But I think that's part of the fun!  In two weeks I will get to meet a little boy of unknown looks and unknown name.  But I know he will be my nephew and I will be his Aunty and that I will love him to pieces.
And that's all I need to know.
love BG

1 comment:

  1. Belinda, you are going to be a great aunty! I haven't forgotten to pray for you and Tim either. I think you'd be a great Mum too, and I'm asking God about it.

    ReplyDelete