Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Melbourne Moment

I'm started doing the strangest thing.


When I draw into St Leonards station- I close my eyes just before we pull up.


You see, most of the time, in my day to day life- I don't ever think I'm in Melbourne. It's not that Sydney is not lots like Melbourne in lots of places- but the places I lived and worked in Melbourne and the places I live at and work at and visit in Melbourne are just so different.


But one day last week when I was pulling into St Leonard's station I had a weird moment. You see, for a second I thought I was pulling up to Box Hill station. Not that there is anything special about Box Hill station- nothing special other than the fact it is in Melbourne.

And so I've gotten into the strange habit of closing my eyes at that moment. Because a few seconds later I see the big St Leonard's sign and we come out the other side of the tunnel and I know I'm in Sydney. I try to saver my Melbourne moment just that little bit longer.

It's strange to be homesick when I'm going to Melbourne tonight. But short trips are funny. They are a taste, rather than a bite, of what it is like to live there. So it will be wonderful and unsatisfying.

Homesick can overwhelm if I let it. But I don't.

When I was a kid, we lived in the states for two years. When people ask me how I find it I say "Wonderful..." and then I have to pause and clarify, "Well, I was really homesick and didn't realise how good it was when I was there but I look back and it was great".

I was so homesick in the States- I feel a wasted what was a really unique, special time in my life.

I don't want to do that here.

I don't want to look back on four years of moaning and groaning.

I want to LIVE Sydney.

So I keep homesickness at bay.

But each day I go to work I close my eyes on the train. I remember how much I love Melbourne and I grieve a little. And then I get on with my life.
love B




No comments:

Post a Comment