Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pray and Praise


Here is a gorgeous picture of my sister in law Elise and her fiance Harry at their engagement party yesterday. Aren't they gorgeous! It was such a special day- and I think I appreciated it more because it was the first time that we'd seen both of them since they moved to Sydney and also since they got engaged.
Elise is a nurse, and she has been doing quite a bit of nursing work in Burma and Thailand and is really passionate about it. One thing that she learnt when she was over there was that the Karin tribe's Christians celebrate the big occasions in their life (such as birthdays) with a time of prayer and praise to God. Elise was inspired by this, so she attempted to start this tradition among the Grants by organising us all to spend an hour on the morning of their engagement party singing songs to God, sharing reflections from his word for her and Harry for their marriage, and praying for them and for the family and the party.
It was such a special time, particularly poignant since Harry became a Christian last year-and as this was an answer to all our long terms prayers- it was so special to have him pray with us!
One thing that Elise said that really got me thinking was that she said "Why is it that our response to special occasions is to eat and drink and dance?". I don't think any of these things are wrong- in fact, I think these are great gifts from God to help us express our joy ('specially dancing- oh how I'd missed it!). But as God gives us these, as well as the blessings of marriage, life and family how much more appropriate is it to sing his praises and thank and pray when we celebrate!
I was talking with a friend last time I was down in Melbourne last time and she asked "Do you feel like an in-law with Tim's family or do you feel like family?", and since then I've been realising more and more what a blessing it is to be part of the Grants. They are one of the best models I've seen of Christian hospitality. It is the kind of house that is always full because Joel and Elise feel so comfortable having their friends round- and from the moment I first walked in I was welcomed with open arms. And Tim and I knew we could turn up without notice and always we would be looked after and Lois (Tim's Mum) would be able to accommodate us into whatever meal was on- because she is always prepared for any unexpected visitors.
Living in Sydney is giving Tim and I chances to practice this hospitality as we host interstate guests and have College friends round. I pray that Tim and I will have a house as welcoming as the Grant, and one that's first reaction to good news is prayer and praise.
love Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment