Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Crusades


Today was a sad day.


As a Christian, I love to think that Christians- due to the Spirit in their lives and their wonderful privilege of knowing their great God as father- are more loving than the rest of the world. And my theology and my experience would say that in some senses they are. But today we looked at the crusades in my "History of Christian Mission" subject- and I had to face the fact that my brothers and sisters in Christ in the past made a stupid, evil mistake. I am not even assuming that all crusaders were Christians- but I think it is fair to say that at least some involved in the process were.

The killing of the Jews along the way. The threat of death to those conquered unless they were baptised. The lack of any real compassion or love for the Muslims they were attacking. Conquering and conquest under the pretence of redemption. Pure and simple racism flying behind a banner that contained the cross of my saviour.

It is heart breaking. It is sin. It is remarkable that Christ died for those misguided crusaders. It is remarkable that he died for me.
Praise the Lord for his grace- let us pray that our Jewish and Muslim neighbours would see love through Christian witness, and know that grace through Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment