Monday, May 26, 2008

Cousin Mary and the Emphatic future negative

This weekend, my cousin Mary died. She is actually my Grandfathers Cousin, but she is alot closer to my family than that particular title would suggest. With no children of her own- my Mum and her sisters have been very dear to her, and she has been part of Sandy and my life as long as I can remember. My first memory of her was while doing a school project on my family tree- and sitting for hours and hours with Mary as she shared the details of our carefully researched family history- one of the passions of her life.

It is a sad and happy time, because Mary was a devoted Christian. She was one of the most supportive of all our relatives of Tim and my decision to go into ministry- and her kind words of affirmation stired us on in that difficult process. It is great to know that she is with Jesus.

Today in Greek we were looking at a concept of the technically named Emphatic future negative. It is a method of expression in Greek to talk about something that will never happen in the future. But the expression "it will never happen" doesn't really capture the force of it. A better way is to say "It will definately not happen" or even better "It will never ever happen". It is a concret promise of what has no possibility of ever happening.

So, with dear cousin Mary in mind- how exciting it was today to read the words of Jesus in John- that use this emphatic future negative:

"...and anyone would comes to be I will never ever drive away" John 6:37

"The one who follows me will never ever walk in darkness, but have the light of life" John 8:12

Isn't that so cool! Mary has died, but she has the light of life, and will never ever walk in darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment