Friday, April 24, 2009

Still a Kid on the inside

Sometimes I struggle with real self-doubt when it comes to my job.
  • I have never studied any form of childhood education (although I do have an unusually high understanding of early numeracy thanks to my parents line of work!)
  • I've never had any formal training in children's ministry
  • I supervise people who have taught more Sunday School than I have!
  • I don't have children of my own, so I don't have that natural know how that a mother gets just from having to work out how to bring up a children from scratch

And yet, as I look back over this previous term, even though there are so many things that I could have done better- I can see that God in his wisdom and grace has guided me through it and used me.

I don't know everything there is to know about kids, but I think one of the secrets I have is that I am still a kid inside. I can play with kids, and I'm only just realising now that this isn't something that comes naturally to everyone. I can relate to kids, I can teach them. I love working with them. And when parents see this, they warm to me and open up to me more than I could have possibly imagined.

The reality of my "inner child" came back to me as I had this particular song stuck in my head for the last month:

The Easter Bunny came hopping along

Swinging his basket and singing a song

He delivered two eggs to the green front door

And he hopped a bit further and delivered some more

Now, having a song stuck in your head is not usually your fault. But I have to take some responsibility for singing it to my husband while I hoped around the room like a rabbit.

My inner-child loves my job almost as much as I do!

love B

No comments:

Post a Comment