Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Basin

I've added a bit of Purple colour to my blog in honour of my gorgeous sister Sandy- who was quite horrified and disgusted that I chose a pink background for my blog.

Well, I'm back in Melbourne, and so far mostly what Tim and I have done is bummed around at Mum and Dads. Which has been just lovely. It is the perfect house to be lazy in- its got unlimited internet, foxtell and a whole collection of our childhood favourite novels that my sister looks after that I can browse whenever. My intention for today was to start on my Greek revision...but we won't worry about that just yet ;)

Its so nice to be back in the Basin. Tim often wails "Its so far away from everything" (I think he still hasn't forgiven it for the hour and a half long round trips he used to have to take to visit me), but I just can't help loving it. I've always been someone who gets really attached to places, and I'm not sure what I'll do when Mum and Dad do what they're always threatening and retire down to the Penisula. Its far away from the city- but when you grew up in a place which was far away from everything you got used to driving. But its perfectly positioned between suburban sprawl which just touches it- and farms and mountains on the other half. Down the end of my street you can see a cow if they happen to be near the fence. There is a spot not five minutes from my house which gives you the most glorous view of Mount Dandenong you could possibly imagine.

My house is nestled at the dip in the street so we always had the greenest grass. Mum and Dad spend their free time in the garden (I still haven't quite figured out how I ended up with lazy genes...) and yet its still feels like your out in the bush when you hide the house behind the bushes. The big problem with the house is that there is no view of sunsets. When I was 13 I used to clime the horse chestnut tree to the point where I could just make it out over our neighbours pines- but unfortunately I doubt that part of the tree could still hold me. You probably can no longer make out (if you know where to look) the initials of the boy I liked in year eight- carved if I remember correctly with a nail file!

Tim and I are sleeping in my old room- in the slightly ricketly sofa bed Mum and Sandy set up when they turned my room into a sewing room. Out the window is the messy remains of a place we still call the secret garden-after the books i feel in love with as a kid.

Oh, Mum's just arrived home. Its been so lovely to see her- the only member of my old imediate family who hasn't visited us yet. She's stopped dying her hair and it looks so beautiful with all its grey streaks. Im enjoying Sydney- but its so nice to have family around again.
Better go say hi!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment