Monday, December 31, 2012

2013- the year of surviving and enjoying (and some news!)

Happy New Year!

2012 has been a massive year.  Tim and I got together for a coffee and a year's "debrief" yesterday and were laughing at just how big it's been.  Changing cities, moving house, starting a new church, me starting a new job.  It has been massive.  It's hard to sum up the year, it has had many very tough moments.  But we ended up declaring it "the year of answered prayer".  The church, despite a very slow start, is going really well, and we have been astonded by the many answered prayers about church that we have had in the last term of the year.

And probably the biggest answered prayer is that we are pregnant.  With Twins.

It was so overwhelming how we found out.  We had a very early scan because of our history at 6 weeks.  There is it, on the screen, a very obvious baby and a very clear heart beat.  Tim and I couldn't stop grinning at each other...until the doctor said "That's unusual?"

"What!" we both cried in a panic at his thoughtless comment.  He apologised saying "Sorry, not bad, just surprising.  There is something else there".  And then he moved the wand and there was another, tiny, tiny sack with a shape in it.  I knew, from my obsessive googling, that it was the shape of a 5 week old baby.  There was no heart beat.  Our doctor said the most likely situation was that our second baby had died and that was why it was so small.  But he also said there was a very slight chance that we had two babies and one was just a week behind and would catch up.

And two weeks later, when we again sat in that same room, there they both were, but this time there were two heart-beats.  We were so very happy and grateful.

I am currently 16 and a half weeks pregnant.  Our 12 week scan was fantastic, with both babies looking well.  I'm definately feeling what I assume is movement, though its not yet reached a stage of proper kicks.  Our families are over the top excited, as are many of our friends.   We are so very thrilled, though still getting our heads around our family expanding so rapidly.

I have been well, though I have Gestational Diabetes.  It's actually been incredible stressful, particularly as the diet and exercise plan they have given me doesn't seem to be sorting our my blood sugar levels.  I've got a doctors appointment this week and am hoping to get things figured out.  All in all, it has made cooking and eating (two of my favourite passtimes), very stress-ridden and frustrating.  But of course I am very grateful for the little ones, and willing to do whatever it takes to sort things out for them.

So 2013?

My big aim is to survive and keep bar low.  Not exactly an inspirational NY reso is it?  But everything anyone tells me about multiples is that life at the start is hard.  And my tendency is to promise too much.  So, for the last months and the first year, I'm not promising anyone anything, except that I will look after the babies and Tim.  If I'm up to more, great!  If I can't do more, then that's not surprising.

But I also want to enjoy this.  I am so grateful every day for these little treasures.  I won't to enjoy them, enjoy the pregnancy (as much as I can, I hear the last 10 weeks with two is pretty awful), and enjoy them when they arrive.  It will be tiring and overwhelming, but I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

 So, 2013?  Bring it on :)
Love BG

No comments:

Post a Comment