Friday, December 18, 2009

The Lasagna sandwich

Well, we are on holidays and in Melbourne and it is less than a week until Christmas.

Writing those words- you would probably think I would be welled up with joy. And I will be. Just. Not. Yet.

I'm still in recovery.

I'm still in recovery from two weeks of Christmas craziness at church, the two and a half mad days of packing, 5 hours of steady cleaning and then 10 hours of driving.

Something I observed and was pointed out to me while I was working for RMIT is that after an intense period of work it takes a few days for me to properly relax and in fact for the first few days I often feel emotional and miserable. And while being in Melbourne is keeping off the misery and I am very tired and very, very emotional.

We stopped at my Grandparents for the night last night, and I was so happy to see them but also felt down to know that it had been a whole year since I had seen them! That just seems too long and it was unsurprising but still sad that my wonderful Grandmother (who is starting to loose her memory) kept referring to me by the names of the female Grandchildren who she actually does see on the regular basis :(

But we had lasagna for tea, so that made me feel a bit better.

Several years ago, actually its probably more like 7 years ago, I mentioned to my Grandma that I liked lasagna. From then on, any time I went to her house there was always lasagna. And I mean always. Our family would arrive and Grandma would have a lovely dinner made for us, and then she would pull me aside and say "Bindy, there is also some lasagna here for you if you would prefer it". And there in the fridge would be the two lasagnas she had made especially for me to get me through the time we would be staying with them. Even as her memory has been fading, my love of lasagna has somehow stayed with her.

But my favourite was when Tim and I were driving down to Melbourne or up to Sydney one time and Grandma made us sandwiches to take with us. I took a bite. It was absolutely delicious, but like no sandwich I've ever had. So I opened it up.

She had made me a Lasagna sandwich
love B

1 comment:

  1. Belinda I also have a grandma who doesn't know who I am (she has Alzheimer's) so I know how devastating that is.

    But I am always comforted by realising she may not know my name, or who I am, but she knows I'm someone special to her - clearly your grandma knows you are someone special to her too :)

    ReplyDelete